Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Molten Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies

 


I clearly remember my first experience with a molten chocolate cake. It was at a high-end restaurant in the 90's. I had to order it when I placed my dinner order if I wanted it for dessert. The waiter waxed poetic about it at length and of course I ordered one. When it came to the table I thought it looked nice but rather ordinary, then I cut into the center. Oh my, I think I heard angels sing! It was divine. The cake seemed somehow to be more than the sum of it's parts. There's something pretty wonderful about cutting into your dessert and having a warm chocolaty center ooze out.

Hot from the oven homemade chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorite things in the world. They are definitely near the top of my all-time favorite desserts. Possibly the only way to improve on a chocolate chip cookie is for a them to have a warm oozy chocolaty center.


These cookies are as easy to make as regular chocolate chip cookies. They are just baked in a ramekin instead of on a cookie sheet. The recipe for the cookies is the one I always use for my chocolate chip cookies. It's a pretty standard recipe, I got it from the back of the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips bag. Just place a square of chocolate candy between two layers of cookie dough, bake, and I'll bet you'll be hearing angels sing too!


Molten Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: Kosher by Design - Teens and 20-Somethings, by Susie Fishbein

2  1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1-12ounce bag chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 (4-ounce) good-quality semisweet or milk chocolate bar, broken into pieces along score lines. ( I used ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bar.)

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, at medium-low speed, mix the butter with the sugar and brown sugar. Raise the speed to medium-high and mix until creamy, light, and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl. Add the vanilla and eggs. Mix together until incorporated.
Add half of the four mixture. Mix until just combined, scrape down the bowl. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Spray 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
Fill each ramekin a quarter of the way with a large, golf-ball-size ball of cookie dough. Flatten to cover the bottom. Add 1 or 2, (depends on the size of the chocolate squares in the chocolate bar you use) chocolate squares in the center of the cookie dough. Cover with a second walnut-sized ball of cookie dough, flattening it to completely cover the chocolate.

Place onto a cookie sheet and bake until the tops are golden brown. Do not overbake or the end result will not be gooey. The baking time will vary from 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the  ramekin and the amount of dough you used. You can serve the cookies in the ramekins or flip them out onto individual plates. Serve warm.
Yields: about 8 6-ounce ramekins. Leftover cookie dough can be baked into regular chocolate chip cookies.

I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom http://tidymom.net/2012/nyc-pistacchio-gelato/ Come join the party!

13 comments:

The Daily Smash said...

No way!!! This looks amazing pretty much heaven on a plate lol

I so have to make these

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

You had me at molten. Love this varaition

Unknown said...

OHH MY! Those look insanely yummy :) I have got to try these right away. Thank you :).

Rachael xx.

http://theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

So very decadent. I can just imagine myself fork in hand.

Tawcan said...

Wow my mouth is so watery just looking at the pictures. Shouldn't be hard to convince my wife to make this for me. :D

Anonymous said...

very Good blogThank you!

grace said...

this is a must-try, though i have to admit that i've burnt my tongue many times by eating molten chocolate... :)

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

These look so delish! May have to make these this weekend!

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com
Current Giveaway: $25 Pick Your Plum box

TidyMom said...

Deep dish + cookie = heaven!

these look amazing!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post to my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/16-back-to-school-treats/ Have a great rest of the weekend.

Erin said...

Sound delicious!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This is a recipe to try, I usually make molten cakes but want to try this one. Decadent!

Anonymous said...

That got me thinking about the way you look at a very important call.

Little known fact: apparently, young Sigmund was a chronic fleshlight because he can't get laid he needs his hand to get off da ship pronto.

Anonymous said...

When I made these, they fell in the middle. I kept some in the ramekins and turned some out, they all fell. Still delicious! Just not as pretty. Is there any way to keep them from falling? Thank you! :)