Monday, August 6, 2007

Home alone


Well my husband has been gone for the past week and it's just been the dog and me. I find it difficult to be inspired to cook for one. Maisy (the dog)is not very discriminating when it comes to meals so I find myself rummaging through the refrigerator for anything that doesn't require any preparation. Preferably something that can be eaten directly from the container. So after two days of eating cottage cheese, cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I decided I needed a real meal. After foraging through the fridge and freezer, I was afraid I might have to make a grocery store run to actually cook anything. That being too much trouble, I was about to go for a grilled cheese sandwich. As I was getting the cheese, I saw bacon in the cheese drawer and inspiration hit! Spaghetti Carbonara- comfort and carbs! I went to my reliable old friend The Joy of Cooking for a recipe and in 15 minutes I had a creamy, bacony, and with a glass of Pinot Grigio, heavenly meal.
Spaghetti Carbonara recipe:
Cook past in a large pot of boiling salted water:
1 pound spaghetti
Meanwhile, combine in a small skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp:
2 TBS olive oil
6 slices of bacon, chopped
Add:
1/3 cup dry white wine
simmer until wine is evaporated. Beat together:
3 lg eggs
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese or a combination of both
Drain pasta and return it to the hot pot. Immediately add the egg/cheese mixture and the hot bacon. stirring to coat thoroughly; the heat of the pasta will cook the eggs.
Top with a little freshly grated Parmesan and enjoy.
I made half a recipe and the leftovers where wonderful for breakfast the next day:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone in my family likes Carbonera-it's an easy and delicious meal.